Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Friday 13 July 2012

Turbo
10min warm up
4 x 7.5min x 85rpm x 270W on 4min recovery
Cool down

I've been adapting the program I followed last year and this was down as 4 x 5km at Olympic pace on 3.5-4min. Working on 40km/hr (a bit optimistic!) this gives 7.5min and 270W for the effort (also optimistic) - the aim was to get to anaerobic threshold which I did - about 160/bpm

Made the usual position changes! my anterior knee pain after the cycle to London recently is still there so i've reduced the aggressive position (saddle forwards).

Massage
Good session with Paul - ITB and Piriformis. ITB problems are the one thing that can really spoil the race so it's time to target this.

Bought a book on on gym exercises for cycling today - cycling anatomy by Shannon Sovndal from the cursory read today it looks good.

14.5hr night shift tonight - hope it's not too bad.

Wrists
Wondered why I get pins and needles in my hands after long turbos so did a bit of research:

1. Usually effects median (carpal tunnel) - on upper bar or ulnar nerves (on drops)
Some studies have shown 23 out of 25 cyclists have some deficit


2. Handlebar design  - audax curved bars are better, get less rigid ones if possible (less vibration). Handlebar horns are especially bad for a branch of the ulnar nerve
3. The more horizontal your torso is the more pressure your hands get - so drops are worse and more aero can be bad.
4. Gloves help but not as much as you think
Advice
- swap position
- handlebars not too far forward and saddle not tilting forwards
- multiple angle handlebars
- shallow drops better than deep
- padded and non-stiff handlebars to reduce vibration
- gel gloves

No comments:

Post a Comment