Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Tuesday 10 July 2012

Rest

Massage - Ouch

Read an article today on Stress fractures - Summary;
1. Much more common than we think (1 in 6 in some sports)
2. More common in - Female, Old, Non-white, Anatomic factors, Non-cushioned shoes, Orthotics, Hard surfaces (Tarmac!)
3. Low Vit D and Low Calcium intake
- Only 25% of population has adequate vit D levels
- each cup of skimmed milk reduces incidence by 62%!
- Vitamin D cannot be made by sunshine at 52deg N (London) from October to March!
- 15 mins per day of strong sunshine (without cream) is enough
- Recommended level (government) of Calcium is 750mg/day in UK and 1300mg/day Australia.
- Bottom line: take Vit D and Calcium supplements

No comments:

Post a Comment