Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Saturday 27 August 2011

"Toby Radcliffe session"

Turbo
60min as 1min on 1min easy - 250Wx60rpm
Then
40min at race pace
All in aero position

This was my first attempt at doing what Toby suggested on Monday. The cadence can be either 60 or 90+rpm depending on whether strength is the focus or speed. The race pace part I found really good to do. 

When I changed the position and saddle, just 5mins at race pace was difficult mentally and physically. It was very reassuring to find I could manage much longer efforts. Next time i'll extend this race pace duration.

There was still some messing around with the position - only the cleats this way and that. I'm not going to make any fundamental changes!

The best thing is that the heart rate is lower for the same intensity which hopefully means the position is working. The spin scan numbers which indicate how well you are pedalling in circles were lower than normal however - 80, not the usual 90/100.

I got up an hour before the boys today and cleaned the house. Then took George to his disabled swim session. A bit of gardening, and some quality time with Ella in the evening. A satisfying day. I think my Mum is probably the only person to read this so I thought i'd put in something more personal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment