Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Monday 18 July 2011

Swim


Drill/Recovery
1. 400m warm up
2. 9 x 100m on 25sec as
- 50m 1 arm drill and 50m easy free x 3
- 50m 2 arm drill and 50m easy free x 3
- 50m 3 arm drill and 50m easy free x 3
3. 200 catch up
4. 10 x 50m on 20 sec as
- 1 arm drill ; Right arm 25m Left arm 25m


Did this with the wetsuit on again. This time I took my time putting it on and tried to get as much material into the upper body to reduce the restrictive feeling. It worked and was a lot better.
I find the one arm drills great to work on timing. There's not meant to be a pause when you extend in front but mine is so ingrained it's proving hard to get rid of.


I tried a few other things as well
- PT paddles for the catch
- sighting with right arm forward and breathing to the left (I can only do it the other way round)
- Turning at the ends by doing a backstroke movement to simulate going round a buoy, cracked this after a few attempts. You set yourself up as if indicating to turn in traffic except you turn the other way to the outstretched arm. I'll see if I can make a matchstick man animation.




Podiatry appointment this afternoon - last year it was all a bit of an emergency so this is hopefully a preventative measure.


No comments:

Post a Comment