Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Sunday 10 July 2011

Brick

Turbo 5hours
As; 2 hours easy
3 hours with 3x50min 220W on 10min recovery

Run
16km as 1km to gym 14km at IMP (treadmill) 1km easy home

This was the biggest day in the 11 week preparation. The program said 180km cycle with 3x30km at IMP and 15km run at IMP.
In the past I have cycled to Brighton or done 14laps of Richmond park followed by a run to Battersea running track for a timed 5km.
To be as time efficient as possible for the family I decided to do a 4 hour turbo with 3x50min followed by an hour on the treadmill.
Some things went well some things didn't.

1. The heart rate monitor wouldn't work. So 2 hours "on the turbo" was spent to-and-froing from the kitchen to take it apart and then back to the bike. No luck at all so had to do the day without it.
- it's a prime example of being flexible. Many coaches recommend leaving the gadgets at home regularly to encourage a sense of feel. That was how I tried to see it.

2. Managed the 3 sets of 220W. First 2 were completely aero with the last (the third one being new territory for me) only half aero. It would have been good to have the heart rate for this as I only just managed to grind it out.

3. Bike position became progressively more uncomfortable. I thought I had cracked it - damn. Ended up lowering the saddle 2mm and putting an extra wedge in both shoes.
http://www.bikefit.com/articleslowtwitchempfield.php
It's was a little disconcerting to make these changes so late but there's still time to see how it goes.

4. There's a lot of psychology that goes on in these longer rides. My best ever IM cycle was 5.30 in Sherborne when I was trying to lap a friend. I found trying to think like that helped a lot.

5. I've been using maltodextrin in my drinks and took this up to 80g/hr (x4 = 320Cal) with no problems. Ironman apparently is a "who can fuel the most competition" among other things and so this was encouraging.

6. The treadmill was really good. My options in central london are limited. I was a little dubious, but this meant no interruptions, if a little boring. It was a reminder that you just can't get the calories in whilst running, that you need.

7. Sat down with the garmin after feeding George and Will and got it working with a minimum of fuss. Guess it was meant to be.

So the hard miles are "in the bank" time to taper. I haven't put the wetsuit on for a year so that's a priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment