Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Wednesday 15 June 2011

Brick

Turbo
30 min warm up
Set - 4 x 20min IMP on 5min recovery
15min cool down



Run
9km as 5km IMP 4km easy



Really good today as finally happy with bike position. Unfortunately it's the perfectionist in me that isn't happy till it's spot on but 6 hours is a long time to be uncomfortable. I won't be surprised at all if further changes get made. The main thing was moving the cleats so the stance on the bike is as wide as possible - this is generally what people do for outer knee pain and outer hip discomfort. It felt odd to start with but worked.
Did the IMP work as 4mins in aero position 1min upright - feeling easier than before. Still have a very noticible increase in heart rate that I hope will get better over the next few weeks. i.e. aiming to flatten that saw tooth pattern in the heart rate.
Also fueling as I would in the race - making up my own sports drink - table sugar, salt and protein powder - it works out at about 5p a bottle instead of £1, money is tight but I think we should all do this anyway.

Run was good. Thought about doing walk run as I did in the London marathon. I have been reluctant to do this so far but must make a point of doing this from now. Also need to be more disciplined with the pace. I'm going way over IMP in these runs as i'm feeling good - sticking to the plan is also something that needs to be practiced!

Cycling the kids to the park was hard work this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment