Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Sunday 22 May 2011

Crystal Palace sprint triathlon

750m swim, 20km Bike, 5km Run
Came 38th/500

The plan was to use this for a bit of race simulation and not go for it. Basically to practice getting on the bike with the shoes clipped on etc,

Swim
- Tired from yesterday's swim. Wore tri top and heart rate monitor - tri top acted like a parachute and heart rate strap kept moving down my legs! A good learning experience.
The big difference this compared to last year is when I felt like I was slipping water I knew what I needed to focus on technique wise.

Bike
- Comfortable but as always not happy with position - felt too low - like the saddle should be further back for the height. Hope to have this sorted by race day. Shoes on bike was fine could improve but no problems.
- now have a third brake on the aerobars which was fantastic.
- still very unconfident when faced with rougher surfaces as it's quite a whippy bike - I may be able to improve this with a longer stem once i'm happier with the seat position.
- gear changes poor, probably need to focus on getting the cadence up higher and working the gears around that rather than slowing down and changing gear to get out of trouble.
- getting our of shoes prior to transition - good

Transition
- ripped both old running socks putting them on - wouldn't be good prior to a marathon.

Run
- Really good - 9th fastest of the day - not pushing too hard as aware of borderline injury with right hamstring.

Overall happy with result - limiter on swim was wearing top. Lots of improvements to be made on bike. Run good. Transitions good.

Training today was meant to be an 80km cycle 10km Run - was going to do it in the evening - hamstring pretty angry so will leave it alone today and aim to do it tomorrow.

Stretching - My impression at the moment is that the hamstring problem is due to;
tight rec femoris (quad) = inhibited glut = overworked/long weak hamstring
So plan is to work on the quad.

No comments:

Post a Comment