Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Saturday 3 July 2010

Turbo Run Brick 

5hour turbo then 10km run

Part of turbo http://connect.garmin.com/activity/39059561
Run http://connect.garmin.com/activity/39059563

My programme said 180km cycle with 3x30km at IMP on 7 mins recovery followed by 10km run.
Decided to do this on the turbo - no traffic lights etc, and could definitely get the 30km intervals done. This can be difficult mentally on the turbo. Cranked the music up and just got on with it.

Decided 30km would be 50mins at 220w (on wednesday did 40min x 225w - thought 225w may be pushing it)

What did I learn?
1. Spent first 1.5 hrs easy spinning did the usual tinkering with position - put saddle up 2mm but felt uncomfortable. Decided to stick with where I am now. Eventually think saddle needs to come up and forwards more so hamstrings not so stretched when try aero position.

2. Heart rate of 144 on the bike is where I want to be

3. Chugged through the sports drink at a rate of knots - need to make sure I pace it properly. Did something really obsessional - saw how many gulps of drink are in one 750ml bottle - ans. 30. I take all my fuel for the whole cycle in a 1L bottle - this will therefore be 40 gulps - which is 7 an hour approx. So will try and stick to one every 10 mins.

4. Also found I could tolerate more carbohydrate than I thought 4 scoops of the high 5 an hour. Really needed this today - a couple of minutes after drinking it the legs started working again. This was profound today and has emphasised that ironman is really fuel limited to a large extent. So think I can try for 80g carbohydrate an hour - only done 60g before so will be in tactical vomit territory if go for 80g.

5. Tried a few things from the running coach - mainly just moving arms forward and backward more - I have a tendency to move my right arm in-front of my body. Felt very fast today - don't know why, extra carbs? would be very happy with this pace on the day.

Massage this afternoon - wonderful! everything done by 3pm - even managed to read some work articles on the turbo!

What my aussie coach said about this session in the past;
note: don't forget to eat and drink during the set as you would in the race- these sessions are extremely depleteing so you will have a massive calorie defecit to make up after training as well.


Sat is a hard day as the interval time has gone up to 30km's -it will
probably be a little slower pace than the 10-15km reps from the previous weeks so don't bury yourself, this session is best done in a pace line with the others with each person taking a 6km pull on the front -it makes it go much quicker mentally and makes the session much more enjoyable- I actually find the longer reps better as you can really hit a good rhythm. Eat like a Trojan after this session because it really is a monster session and Sunday you need to be able to back up.
 
These are the peak weeks so make sure you are meeting your calorie deficit's -graze all day-don't get hungry and go on binges better to have about 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day when you are putting out hours like this to avoid insulin ups & downs.


Sleep - Remember that it is your ability to gain strength from the sessions that makes you faster and to do that recovery is critcal.


Ella Will and George are at the grandparents this weekend - for once may get that sleep in. On call tomorrow so not planning anything.




No comments:

Post a Comment